Thursday 24 November 2011

Can I Tell You About Claude and Max?

My Mum had had Siamese for years and so when we felt the time was right we started to look for one of our own, but there weren't any to be had nearby. 


I kept searching and I came across an ad for Tonkinese  kittens - Tonkinese are now a breed in their own right but were originally Siamese/Burmese cross and have the good points of both breeds.


We went to see the last remaining kitten in the litter and fell in love:



Six weeks later he came home to live with us and we named him Claudius, after the Burmese in the book "I and Claudius" by Clare de Vries. I even sent a letter to Clare to tell her I had named my Claude after hers and received a lovely card back.

It wasn't long before he needed a friend and a few weeks later I found some Siamese kittens nearby and Maximus came to live with us:


After being introduced to Claude it only took 24 hours before they were best friends and they were soon devoted to each other:

Taken the day after Max came home....

They were both very different characters - Claude was soppy and silly, loved a cuddle and you only had to look his way and he would purr:



Max was far less confident, he adored Claude but was wary of the children and hated being picked up. He was timid and much more aloof. He would sit on your lap on his own terms and would wind himself around your legs wanting to be stroked but didn't do cuddles:



After a few years Claudius began to lose weight and the short story is that he was diagnosed with chronic renal failure and within two days he took any decision we needed to make out of our hands and passed away. He was just five years old:


Max and Claude had been devoted and he really disliked the kids and dogs so when my Mum lost one of her Siamese to old age it was decided he would be happier living with her and my Stepdad in their kitty haven - Stepdad lives to serve the cats and they have a selection of gourmet foods (including best prawns!!) and a house that backs onto a nature trail.

Mum and Stepdad felt they would be able to bring Max out of his shell, but he remained a timid and jumpy little puss. He became very attached to Mum's Siamese Jasmine and in the summer loved to sit on her decking.

Last week he was off his food. This morning he was put to sleep with a twisted gut. He was just 8.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. 

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. 
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. 

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. 

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. 

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. 

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. 

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown... 



Max and Claudie - back together again....

S x

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have beautiful memories of your cats. Like you, my Mum had Siamese cats when I lived at home and I always knew I wanted one of my own. I have a Siamese Birman cross who is called Albert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you b***er! You made me sob my socks off...I'm such a soppy old fart when it comes to cats.
    I'll have to sign off and go and give my two a cuddle...whether they want it or not, I need one!

    I'm so sorry for you and your Mum and Stepdads' loss, it hurts like mad - I know!

    On a cheerier note, I will post your Advent Swap parcel today - didn't quite finish it in time to post yesterday.

    Hugs,

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, it is so hard saying goodbye to our much loved pets. You have wonderful memories and photos of these two gorgeous kitties.
    Take care,
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry about your sweet cats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories and a sad tale, but you have lots of happy memories.
    RIP
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hugs* Such beautiful kitties! Thank you for sharing.
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, this made me cry - We had our lovely rescue cat called 'Crumbs' for 13 years and when we had him put to sleep last year, I cried like a baby. Like you say they are together again now. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally missed this post. Ahhhh, I am so sorry for your loss. GORGEOUS cats. You have Jasper now and will remember these two beauties. Ah they're gorgeous. x x x x x

    ReplyDelete

Every comment you leave makes my day, so do take a moment to say hello....

S x